The nice thing about being a professional bike fitter (www.PedPowerPerformLab.com) I have access to the tools at hand to play with.
It’s been a while since I last Zined my tri bike set up. What is Zin? It is Retul’s digital mapping tool. It plots the bike out in space and after marking 15 or so spots on the bike, the software generates a highly detailed and accurate report of the bike’s critical measurement.
Bike set up:
- USE fast forward seat post
- Sella Italia GT1 saddle (a triatlhon specific saddle), will swap out for my green accent ISM Adamo Breakaway.
Both of these saddle allow to ride sitting back or on the nose
- 50mm front carbon clincer with Rolf 38mm in the rear
- -30 degree stem to get appropriate front end drop
- Syntace Stratos with Cobb Wrist Relief Extension
- 170mm cranks – I really notice the benefit of using shorter cranks
- Install 11/25 cassette
- New chain- removed links
- Front and real derailleur adjustments
- Will be getting rid of the behind the saddle bottle rack/cages and install Oasis One-Tweve hydration system on downtube
- and of course Shimano Di2
My BreakAway all ready to get Zined.
Rev3 Portland (half IM) is about a week away and I want to verify and adjust any necessary setting before heading off to race. I’ve been doing 95 percent of my training in a road bike set up and only recently converted to the tri bike setting for the last 5 percent of my training preparation. For the area I train, a road bike with clip-ons is more beneficial to build leg/bike strength and is a whole lot safer. Will be putting in another 200 miles or so with this set up before race day on July 10th.When I get ready to race iron distance events, I switch to the tri set up three weeks before race day.
It’s pretty hard to Retul oneself, so I go by rider feedback, visual observation in the Lab’s mirrors and 2d motion capture.
The generated report.
The main numbers I am looking for here are saddle height, effective seat tube angle (77 degrees) and pad drop in relation to saddle (-101mm).
After installation Adamo BreakAway saddle, have lowered saddle height, extended aero pads and extensions, and raised stack 5mm. Man this bike is quiet and rides real smooth.